Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Wednesday, November 27, 2013

On Deck---Haiku Deck On The Web


I was beyond excited when this tweet entered my feed.  Haiku Deck is a free presentation application with over 35 million images for use and six free themes.  Based upon the Terms this should be used by those over 18 years old.  I hurried over to the Haiku Deck website.  You can sign up at three separate places; click on the tab at the top of the page or another link mid-page and at the bottom.



Selecting either of those will open up another window.  You are asked to submit a request for an invitation. You enter in your name and email address to be added to a list.



Initially I received an email letting me know my request had not been forgotten but their engineers were making sure everything worked with reliability.  At that time I could reply if I wanted to experiment.  I decided to wait.  Last Thursday another email arrived telling me my invitation was ready.  I choose the link supplied in the message.  

I discovered I could register with my email and a password or log in through Facebook or Twitter.  After selecting Create my account you can immediately choose Get Started at the next window or wait for the help page to open.  I decided to try each of the elements displayed on the next screen shown in the second image.




After adding words (top left-hand corner) I moved to picking a background.  (Please note you can alter your text simply by clicking on the line you wish to change.) You can choose to use an image by searching the site or uploading one from nine possible sources (see second image below), one of three chart types (not quite ready for web use yet) or go with one of nine solid colors.  



Background chosen you move to the layout of your slides in the deck.  There are fourteen styles. The final icon on the left-hand tool bar allows you to add notes to each slide.





Moving to the top from left to right, you can go to the page listing all your decks (personal gallery), send feedback to the site administrators, and every time you share a deck you get one free invite which, when given to someone else, will speed up the process for them to use the application.  When you click on the question mark the help slide becomes an overlay on your current project, jogging your memory as to the features.  The arrow icon allows you to view your presentation.  

Selecting Share opens a window asking you to give the slide deck a title, choose a privacy setting (public, private, restricted), include a description and pick a category.  When you click Publish a new window opens.  It gives you the opportunity to preview the deck or share it via three social networks or email, embed it or export it as a Powerpoint.  You can also Unpublish, Edit Settings or Cancel. Not only do they offer an HTML code but a WordPress code and Haiku Deck URL link. 




Going back to your personal gallery page you can access Featured Decks, Popular Decks, the Haiku Deck Blog, Reviews of this application and Our Story which gives a background of the development of Haiku Deck.  Here is a link I discovered when exploring the site which offers tutorials on the use of Haiku Deck.  


Also at your gallery page when you mouse over any of your decks you have more choices.  You are able to edit, delete or play your deck.  With a mouse click you can share it via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn or email. 


Haiku Deck on the web is simple to use with smart-looking results.  I can understand why the iPad app has been so popular.  Thanks to the Haiku Deck team for making it accessible online.


No comments:

Post a Comment