Quote of the Month

When love and skill work together, expect a miracle. John Ruskin




Monday, September 14, 2015

Blowing In the Wind-Changes Part II

Dear Readers:

On August 20, 2015 Xena and I left the lakes area of northern Michigan to embark on a new adventure.  After two years there was finally a solid offer on the sale of my home.  My hope for many years has been to live in the west.  Friends from high school have been living in the state of Montana since college.  I believe if they and Hattie could live in Big Sky Country, so could I. (Thank you Kirby Larson.)

After having made the trip to Montana last year, I found I would rather look at the Mackinac Bridge than cross it.  This year I went south into Indiana and Illinois.  After only a few wrong turns (I was still learning the GPS on my car.),  Xena and I spent a restful night in Normal, Illinois.

Bright and early the next morning we traveled to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  When the two of us walked that evening, I noticed a funny cast to the sky and setting sun.  Checking the National Weather Service it mentioned possible severe thunderstorms in the area the next day along with a high wind advisory and high wind warning for the entire state.  I made the decision to alter my route going as far south as I could, staying on main roads.

Needless to say, from one side of South Dakota to the other the winds were terrifying.  It was two-hand-death-grip-on-the-wheel driving.  At one point I took the closest exit because my hands ached and were shaking.  This exit was a little two-track dirt road leading to a small white church with a tall steeple, probably room for about thirty people, and a single home.  I pulled into the parking lot.

The winds were so powerful, at a standstill, my car rocked with every gust.  When I looked up after about ten minutes, a cement truck pulling a trailer had stopped also.  Thankfully, I had Tim Federle's audio books about Nate to listen to as I weathered this storm.

Finally arriving in Rapid City, South Dakota I decided to eat.  I waited and waited for my name to be called.  They kept calling for a Parker to pick up their meal.  Looking at my slip I discovered I had a new name.  It was a relief to arrive in Gillette, Wyoming for the night.  Before the sun set the next day, Xena and I arrived in Missoula, Montana.

For the next two days, I looked at more than twenty houses.  At the end of the second day, we found a new home.  It was touch and go as to whether we would have a contract but by Friday, Xena and I were headed back to Michigan.

On the way home we learned:

Always ask what pet-friendly means... we ended up walking at a lovely park and path around the local hospital because the hotel was surrounded by cement right next to a busy main road.

If you ever get lost among residential and county roads in the dark of night, unable to find the main highway, there is a wonderful woman named Kelsey who works the 911 line in the St. Cloud, Minnesota area.

Anywhere near Chicago, traffic can and does come to a complete stop, more than once, even on a Sunday.

Always check your hotel room before unloading anything from your car, especially if there is a funky smell.  (The night manager said it was disgusting when he saw it.)  We ended up on the second floor that night.  Xena got her first ride in an elevator.  (This guy deserves a raise after all the help he gave us.)

Going through the center of Fort Wayne, Indiana is still better than taking the by-pass.

Even though she is fifteen years old, Xena can still protect me.  Stopping at a rest area, we were walking when a man and a child approached us.  My usual friendly companion started barking.  They backed away and I sighed with relief as I hugged her.

Xena, my warrior princess, was so happy to get home she nearly ran around the house outside and inside.  I joyfully joined her.  Two days later the packing started.  Today (Sunday) I finished with help from many friends and neighbors.

My contact who gave me an estimate for the move told me no one has ever transported this many books before me.  The majority of my weight is for the almost eighty boxes filled with books.  Those stories will travel from state to state to state.

I have missed visiting with all of you on Twitter and Facebook.  The connections in the children's literature community are wonderful.  Hopefully I will be a more frequent presence in the upcoming weeks.

The move will begin in less than forty-eight hours.  Anticipation fills the air.  A dream is coming true.

I wish you all good things each and every day.

xxooMargie

28 comments:

  1. "Anticipation fills the air. A dream is coming true." Margie, these lines say it all! What an adventure you and Xena have already had! No doubt more adventures await! Wishing you a MUCH smoother journey this time! Happy landings! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been quite an adventure. My sweet Xena is the rock of everything we do. Thank you for your wishes Victoria. xxoo

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an adventure! Sorry to hear about the bad weather you encountered on the road. Sounds very scary and I'm glad you made it safely back home. Xena has proven herself once again to be quite the warrior princess.

    Wishing you the best of luck moving to your new home. 80 boxes of books! Take care. Hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jama. Xena has been the warrior princess from the very beginning. We hope to get there safe and sound. I know I have a lot of books but that's who I am and what I do. Sending hugs back to you. ♥

      Delete
  3. Margie and Xena - happy, safe travels and settling. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie. I am sure your well wishes will keep us going.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to hear more about the west from you and Xena! Happy trails, and moving!
    And yes, traffic in Chicago is no fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to keep you all in the loop. I want to take more pictures this time. I have never been in traffic quite like that before. I will be taking the long way this time. ☺

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. My friends keep me going. And that means YOU.

      Delete
  6. So happy for you, Margie! Did you retire as well? How much have I missed while helping care for my parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. My employment status involves a long story. I will be glad to get you up to speed later. I hope you and your parents are well. I have been out of the loop myself. *hugs*

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. I miss the NF Wednesday posts. I always link you with outstanding NF. Ready to get back in the groove.

      Delete
  8. How exciting! What a wonderful adventure. Sending hugs to you and Xena!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting Barbara. I knew I had to do it now or I would not do it. We are sending hugs back to you. ♥

      Delete
  9. You are going to love Missoula -- and the book festival is right around the corner. Be sure to have huckleberry pancakes at The Shack (I think that's the right name; old restaurant downtown). You and Xena will both love the walk by the river. Oh, and Missoula Children's Theater, too! and Fact and Fiction bookstore! Too much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the hints Kirby. I already had Fact and Fiction on my radar. The book festival sounds amazing. You and Hattie gave me the push I needed. Grateful...

      Delete
  10. Hey! What an adventure! So happy for you and Xena and what's ahead! Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and will be some kind of adventure Kate. Thank you for your well wishes. Looking forward to your next book...

      Delete
  11. What exciting news! I wish you and Xena the best on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. This is going to be the biggest adventure yet. ☺

      Delete
  12. I can't wait to hear more about this adventure. I totally get the books although I did not have 80 boxes. And how fun for Xena. And I want to know more about your employment story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jone. It was time for a move. I will be glad to share my story with you.

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of you eating Huckleberry Pancakes in Montana! So thrilled to hear about your adventures and glad that you literally weathered the storm. When we moved, the weight was mostly records. I love that you set the moving co. record for books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of eating those pancakes too Madelyn. Yum! Yum! Music and stories are the way to go! Thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  14. Adventure is right! Sounds like a wonderful/new/exciting life will await you. Good for you for charging ahead and going for what you want out of life! Happy travels and can't wait to hear how it is once you're settled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Merry Makers! I will keep everyone posted. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

      Delete